A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Saturday, April 14, 2007

A little give, a little get

Last night I went to a Friday the 13th potluck hosted by one of my (Canadian) co-workers. It was an extremely pleasant evening, lots of good food and wine. Anywho, at this party I got chatting with this guy, and he was telling me about this volunteer organization for people in their 20s and 30s called Seattle Works. I was so interested in this idea, that after the party, I immediately went on their website and signed up to help out at an Earth Day event. They have three ways to get involved: 1. You are assigned to a group of 15 people, and for one Saturday per month for four months you volunteer for a different organization. This allows you to meet new people AND help out the community. Especially good if you get in with a cool group of people...and even if you don't you're still doing good work. Their next round of volunteering starts in June, but because of the wedding, I will miss the first session and they want you to be fully committed to attending all the sessions. Soo.... 2. You can help out at one-time projects from their calendar of events. That's what I'm doing to start with as I can choose which Saturday I want to help out. If I get more ambitious, there is also option 3. Volunteering on a board of directors of a non-profit organization. At this point, not really my goal...

At this point, not much else is exciting in my life. I seem to be falling into a routine, and the months are just whizzing by. I have been living in Seattle for nearly 5 months now! Unbelievable. (Almost time to rotate my mattress.)

I have read half of the Washington State driver's license manual. It is very boring. Doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary from BC or Ontario laws. It's really the getting behind the wheel thing that freaks me out...

I'm nearly done knitting my sweater. I am working on the collar, so I'm thinking I can finish it this weekend. (I also thought I could finish it last weekend, but got distracted by doing my taxes.) I already have yarn for my next two projects. Clearly my fingers cannot move as quickly as my imagination. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this problem. Last night I got this cool set of knitting needles that I bought online called the Needlemaster (sounds like a character in a role player game). I don't know how to really explain it, but I think that I will never have to buy another set of knitting needles again! Well, maybe double pointed ones...Anywho, I don't want to bore anyone. I'm sure some people have already skipped onto the next paragraph by now...

And lastly I'd like to insert a little rant about my "new" cell phone. I was constantly made fun of for my old phone because it was such a "beast". But man, did the battery on that thing have staying power...It would last for a week without needing to be recharged. This "new" phone however, needs to be recharged every other day, sometimes every day if I am talking on it alot. And of course, I forget to do this and the battery runs out...Point being, I miss my beast...

1 Comments:

At 7:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah sis, i had those motorolla 3000

paperweight phones!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home