A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The story of my torn ACL

Last Sunday I was playing ultimate frisbee and I collided with someone taller and faster than me. As we fell, the side of my right knee hit his shinbone. I immediately grabbed my leg and tears sprang to my eyes. I was carried off the field by my teammates and provided with ice. After the game I was piggy-backed off the field, driven home, and piggy-backed up to my house (Thanks Jon!). I worked from home on Monday and Tuesday, hopping around my house and pushing myself up and down the stairs. By Tuesday night I was excited that I was able to put a little bit of pressure on my leg and progressed to a slow hobble. Wednesday and Thursday I ventured into work, tired of being housebound. I was feeling optimistic that I was healing. Dave returned from his business trip to Fort Mac and Edmonton on Thursday night. Unfortunately, that night I woke up with a really bad charleyhorse. At this point, my tight calf muscle is more painful than my knee. Friday morning, Dave drove me to an orthopaedic doctor recommended to me by my housemate Allison. After pullinyg and prodding my knee, he told me that he is 95% sure that I tore my ACL. My heart sank. He said that after the surgery I would not be able to run, hop, or pivot on my knee for 5 months. I guess this means that I will miss out on skiing and snowboarding season this year. Bummer...The silver lining to all this, is that the privatized American health care system has some perks over the Canadian system. As Tim pointed out to me there is a long wait for knee surgeries in Canada. I am getting an MRI tomorrow, and probably my surgery before the end of the year...efficiency unheard of in Canada. Lucky me??

2 Comments:

At 10:39 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're lucky. i waited 6 months for my MRI for my head. but again my mom only waited a month for her MRI for her knee; guess cause its such a short process... good luck with it though. - melissa

 
At 8:38 p.m., Blogger superkev said...

What?! You tore yours too? Well, that makes two Thom kids with busted ACLs. I have managed mine so far by losing weight, so now I don't have any pain and am able to run, bike, swim, etc. Pivoting sports are still off-limits, but I think I'll be able to just stay away from them. I've talked to a lot of people (physiotherapists, doctors, kinesiologists, etc.) who say stay away from the surgery if possible, instead of dealing with the prolonged recovery (6 weeks), and then physio (1 year) with a 5% chance of failure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home