A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Monday, September 20, 2004

Game, set, match - What a productive day!

This blogging is really quite fun. I have been thinking all day about what I would write.

One reader of the blog has suggested that next time I cook my corn I should do it by steaming it in a wok, over a grill...hmm...sounds great! Now...if only I had a wok, and a grill for that matter. Seriously though, I only have 4 pots/pans. One giant pot, one little pot, one little frying pan and one large frying pan. And this last one i only acquired last weekend at a church rummage sale. (it was only a dollar!) For those of you who know how much I like to cook, and the vast array of cooking gear that I have grown accustomed to, you will know how difficult this is for me. The good news is, that I now have food.

Funny thing about Vancouver: no one here wakes up on a weekend before 9 and nothing is open before 10. Heck, the library doesn't even open until noon. Is it possible that this "laid-back west coast attitude" that I have been hearing about is really just a synonym for "laziness". I feel like a bit of a freak, what with my habits of staying up late and getting up early. My 7-hour sleeping schedule is going very well and i'm even thinking of paring it down to 6 1/2. The buses stop at midnight except on the weekends. What if I want to go out on a Wednesday? Annoying.

Ah yes, so today. I went and did my aforementionned grocery shopping. I am always discovering new things that I'm missing (usually after I've left the grocery store to come home). Like flour. Still don't have flour. I have resigned myself to shopping at the Safeway. After a little scolding from Melissa about how BAD the Superstore is to the environment and how environmentally FRIENDLY Safeway is, I now do most of my shopping there expensive as it is. And it's closer. Superstore is FAR. Still waiting for the frozen juice prices to come down.

Meeting with some classmates about a project and oral presentation that we have due tomorrow. Finally finished. I used to really like looking for journal articles on Medline and PubMed. Now I hate it.

We are going on a field trip (!) to Scott Paper on Tuesday for a tour of the facilities so I read up about the pulp and paper industry.

And I went to see a movie, Wimbledon starring Kirsten Dunst (Erin's favourite actress...hehe) and Paul Bettany (he's so lovely). Pretty good. A little cheezy, but that was expected due to the presence of Dunst. The tennis scenes were well done. Made me wanna go smack the ball around, just like the good ol days at the Rosedale Tennis Club. Except, I wasn't that good. The romantic scenes just made me feel lonely and frustrated.

My bed is lookin' pretty good right about now.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 a.m., Blogger Melissa said...

Hey Jadine
Yay - i Liked reading your blog. Maybe I should start working on mine again, or maybe you and I should just talk once in awhile. You're program sounds really neat and I want to hear more about it. I've been thinking about a trip out to Vancouver around November - let me know what you think :) Maybe I should just wait for ski season though? I kind of want to see Wimbledon - hmmm.

OK back to work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home