A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Jobs (yes, plural)

Today I had my first interview. It was with GlaxoSmithKline, a pharmaceutical company located in Mississauga. I think it went well, and of course this would be an excellent job for me for several reasons:
- I will have a permanent location for 18 consecutive months
- Back to Ontario --> back to my family and friends
- GSK has an excellent reputation, both as a profitable company and as a good employer
- I wouldn't have to move to (capital C) Conservative Alberta to work for some money-grubbing, environment-ruining oil and gas company
- I can't foresee a more desirable job coming up in the next couple months
- I can't think of any reason NOT to take this job.

However, I have also been offered a job working on a project with one of my profs. This will also be a good job, but taking it may also be problematic:
- I get to spend the summer in Vancouver, and will get to travel to different worksites in the BC Interior and Vancouver Island --> apparently summer in Vancouver makes up for the depressing, wet winter and I have yet to experience this
- It will start immediately (part-time) and be full-time from May to end of July --> Positive: If I don't get GSK job, will give me something to do while I wait for something better. Negative: May have to turn down more permanent jobs due to commitment until end of July (low probability).
- This is not a permanent job. It would be nice to have a permanent location...It would be nice to consolidate all of my belongings in one city (or at least in one province).
- This is a SURE thing!

Anywho, point being...I won't hear back about the GSK job for another two weeks, while they interview other candidates. (I HATE waiting...) But, I need to let my prof know ASAP so that we can get started at the end of the month. I think that the interview went well, but it wasn't perfect and they ARE interviewing "many other excellent candidates". What to do??? Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 12:18 p.m., Blogger Melissa said...

I say wait to hear back from that other company, its not always good to jump on the first thing you get offered, b/c you may not give yourself enough time to see what else may be available to you. Plus, you like settling down in one spot, and you love Toronto, so maybe wait? Thats just my two cents. And then we can hang out this summer while I'm in school and you're making the big bucks. btw, do you know if there is cheap parking at hamilton airport or how i get there if i don't wanna drive?

 
At 2:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say go with the one that looks best on your CV.
Go with GSK.
More opportunities, more perks, and of course, more money.

And basically, it will mean that you'll be anchored in Toronto, and hence will make visiting you much easier in the future.

V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home