A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Friday, October 27, 2006

If I only had a social security number...

The past couple of weeks since I have gotten back from Asia have been a bit of a blur. For a week and a half, I was homeless...camping out at Jesse's and wishing that I was still travelling. I didn't get a whole lot accomplished that week...basically watching a lot of Scrubs, waiting for my transcripts from U of T and UBC to arrive, collecting the rest of the documents I'd need to get my visa, exercising, and cooking for Jesse and Mark. In particular, I made a lot of salads. I really missed salad while I was in Thailand...shredded cabbage, red onions, tomato and cucumber does not a salad make...

Great (Jesse) Scott drove me (and a carload of my stuff) down to Seattle on Monday, waiting 45-minutes with me at the border for them to approve my application for a temporary working visa. After photocopying my documents and quizzing me on my job description, they let me in! We stopped at Walmart to ogle the cheap American deals (e.g. Banrock Shiraz for 4 dollars a bottle!) and at Jack in the Box for some yummy ciabattas and some not so yummy 2 for 99 cent tacos.

As I hadn't secured a place to live before leaving, the company paid to put me up in a hotel close to the area where I want to live (near the University of Washington). My suite is pretty decent: wireless internet, two televisions (not including my own) and a little kitchenette with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and dishes. I set up my computer as soon as Jesse left and pretty much played on it all night...So nice to use my own computer again and to have access to all of my music!

Tuesday morning, I went to the social security office downtown to get my social security number. But, as I had only arrived the day before my visa information hadn't yet been updated in their database, so they couldn't/wouldn't issue me a social security. And this will not be issued for two weeks. Unfortunately a social security number is required to get a bank account. A bank account is required to get paid, and to establish credit. A bank account, pay and credit are required to get housing, and a cell phone. Basically, without a social security number I don't exist in the United States.

I spent the rest of Tuesday looking for a place to live, and even went to see a couple of (crappy) places out in Wallingford. I got lost trying to get back to my hotel, when the street I was following ended in a ravine. (I don't know which BRILLIANT city planner decided that Seattle should have a number street and avenue system that gets interrupted by ravines, waterways and cliffs...) I followed the cars, and found my way back to the hotel. Met up with Jen, one of my co-workers, for coffee. Went to bed. (Did I mention that I don't have to share my bed with anyone, I don't get jabbed in the ribs or kicked for snoring, and I have FIVE pillows on my bed!?)

Wednesday, I decided that if the US was going to treat me as a mere visitor, then I would act like one! So, I went to Pioneer Square and took the Underground Tour, an informative yet entertaining recount of Seattle's past. Went to see another (better) house in the evening.

Thursday was my first day of work. In my drowsy state, I climbed on the wrong bus, refound my way, went in the wrong direction, refound my way, got lost again, gave up and called Veritox only to find that I was in the right complex of buildings, just on the wrong level. Long story short, what took me one hour this morning took 2.5 yesterday...Today I brought my rollerblades reducing the 20 minute walk from the bus stop to work to a 7-minute spurt of early morning exercise (it's uphill).

I think I have found a place to live. It is a house located on Montlake Blvd E and the 520. This means: only one bus to work (approx 35 minutes)! This also means ready access to buses downtown and other neighbourhoods. There are 10 people living in the house but it seems most people keep to themselves. At least 2 of the girls seem nice; I spent nearly 2 hours there last night chatting with Allison, the head of the house. She also likes to cook and owns a KitchenAid mixer and a Cuisinart. I have filled out the rental application, leaving the SSN space blank and hoping that the landlord will check my Canadian credit. Hopefully I will hear back from him on Monday, and can move in on Tuesday. This weekend, I may go look at some beds and see what their delivery schedule is like. Furniture shopping should be fun!

Anywho...I am sleepy, and I'm meeting up with a friend of Frisbee Jon's for breakfast in the morning. Later this weekend I will post some more photos from my trip. I got my disposable camera photos digitally developped at Shopper's Drug Mart...

1 Comments:

At 3:43 p.m., Blogger james said...

Awesome Jay!!!

Miss you much...be good and be safe!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home