A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Chiang Mai, oh my!

So, after a brief stay in a grotty guesthouse on Kao San Rd in Bangkok, an afternoon visit with my friend Tamir and his friend James (from the UK), and an overnight sleeper train, I am now in Chiang Mai. It is pouring rain. But, I have my trusty Goretex jacket (thank you Daddy!) so now I am hiding out in an air-con internet cafe. It doesn't seem to be stopping but rather slowing down and then getting heavier...Oh well...Apparently the night market is open rain or shine.

I am probably going to book a three day trekking tour into the mountains to visit the hill tribes. According to the woman at the guest house, the only tourists I will see on this tour will be the other 6-11 people in my group. Also included are all meals, park entrance fees, an elephant ride, a wooden rafting trip, and one helluva good time.

James brings up a good point. (And for the record I hadn't forgotten...) Now that I am in Chiang Mai, presumably my last city in Thailand before I head to Laos, are there any Thai souvenirs that I can get for anyone? Keeping in mind that I'm barely 5 feet tall, and my sack already contains the two pairs of jeans, two pairs of sandals and a silk bedspread that I bought in Bangkok and I still have 2 weeks of travelling left. So, things that are light and/or small would be ideal. For example, silk (pillow cases, tablecloths, bedspreads, wall hangings, pashmina, scarves), t-shirts (Red Bull, Chang beer, Singha beer, PUMA/TUNA/PUDEL), fishermen's pants (any colour, silk or linen), wood (carvings, puzzles, coasters, wine holders), elephants (jade, wood, ivory, t-shirt, purse). Apparently Chiang Mai is the "cheap-cheap"est place to buy stuff, and my bartering skills are improving. So, speak now or forever hold your peace...

Sun is out, but still raining...

3 Comments:

At 2:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are having such a great trip!! I really enjoyed your pictures.
Ham

 
At 9:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh fisherman pants. What are those?
- M

 
At 3:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of everything please! :P
Stacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home