A Canadian in Search of the Emerald City

The intent and purpose of this blog is to inform my loved ones (that's you!) of my comings and goings. While I do love writing and receiving emails, sometimes it just isn't possible to correspond with each of you individually. You may call it "laziness". I call it "proper time management".

Friday, September 22, 2006

Float like a butterfly...

I'm so relieved...I just checked the memory card on my camera and the photos that I took prior to getting caught in the rain are in perfect condition! So...no lost memories. My camera was due for a replacement anyway...so this just gives me an excuse to make a trip to Future Shop and hang out with Mark and Jesse...wink, wink, nudge, nudge...In the process of uploading some of my photos to Flickr website now and will post them to the blog after I finish this entry.

Yesterday, Jenny and I went on a walking tour of the Grand Palace (former residence of the king) and saw the Emerald Buddha. He was a lot smaller than I expected him to be, but the room in which he is located was spectacular, as were the palace grounds. No wonder their royalty is so revered here...they live in some nice digs! Maybe I have mentionned it....but this year is the King's Diamond Anniversary (60th year on the throne), so every Monday there is a sea of yellow polo shirts (the king's colour)...I bought myself one too, but will not dare wear it until I leave. I have a hard enough time now with people thinking I'm Thai. Sometimes, I like being able to blend in...at other times, I wish I had blond hair and blue eyes...

We also went to Wat Pho, where the statue of the Reclining Buddha is. He was much larger than I expected him to be. I think one of his toes was maybe the length of my head and torso...And his feet were extremely impressive, decorated with mother of pearl designs...pretty...

After sweltering in the heat, we escaped to the air conditionned relief of MBK centre, a GIANT shopping centre that is 6 floors high. I bought two pairs of jeans that were labelled as Diesel and Victoria Beckham for 1230 THB (approx 36 bucks Cdn). Didn't find my Puma shoes or my Adidas bag...but I'm sure I will come across them again someday...

Today, we woke up early and went to the floating market in Damnoen Saduak. A sea of tourists, and pretty much the same old crap that has been in all the other markets, except floating (on boats). Some of the boats with the fruit on it were quite pretty. The tour guide also dragged us off to an elephant compound and a wood carving place. Jenny rode an elephant and the driver even gave her a turn steering! I sat back and took pictures, not wanting to smell like elephant for the rest of the day. The drive through Bangkok back to our hotel was slow and painful due to the traffic. Apparently the traffic situation following the coup has resolved itself. We saw a tank and lots of military men, but it is hard to tell whether or not this is out of the ordinary...

Tomorrow we will go to yet another market, and then on Sunday I will leave for Ko Samet for some beach relaxation.

Enjoy the photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home